Alhumdullilah, a four acre property was purchased and earmarked for the relocation of the Al Mahdi Islamic Community Centre to Markham and Steeles. By 2011 this land was fully paid for by our community at a cost of $1.2 million. Now, our community is ready to break ground and commence with the Al Mahdi Initiative.
Our new home, the Al Mahdi Islamic Community Centre, will be a place that serves the social, physical, academic, multicultural and spiritual needs of all ages. It is the embodiment of a full multi purpose centre, with prayer halls, library, classrooms, recreation and gym facilities, swimming pool, banquet hall, fitness area and more. It will be the beacon of community life, promoting and fostering all facets of a healthy, spiritual and social environment.
The Progression of a Community
- The land at 3270 Markham Road was purchased for $1.175 million dollars for 4.1 acres.
- In May 2012 we received the zoning and site plan approval from City of Toronto.
- Community paid the land cost & developing cost of approximately $1.5 million dollars (CDN).
Why build a new Islamic Community Centre?
- The need to accommodate a growing community membership and population growth in the East Toronto area and vicinity.
- Current centre building is over 100 years old and is deteriorating, with high maintenance costs and very limited
parking and accessibility challenges, especially for women and seniors.
- The community and programs have outgrown the physical space which fails to adequately serve the diverse and growing religious, physical and social needs of the community.
- To provide recreational facilities and programs for all segments of our Community; children, youth, adults & seniors.
- Desire to expand the scope of our projects and services, in particular madressa, youth classes, seminars, and